Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Progression through Death

I recently attended the funeral of my wife’s uncle. It was an incredibly sad affair by all accounts, and understandably so. His siblings were quite close to him, and he left behind three children and several grandchildren. Furthermore, his parents have outlived him (the third child they have had to bury).

But it is for this very reason I’m not real big on funerals. I hate being sad. Being sad sucks. Yes, it’s very saddening that you won’t be able to spend time or chat with the person anymore during your mortal life. But the fact is that person has now progressed to the next life. Progressed, as in progression, as in moving forward!

This person in particular suffered a great deal of pain in his life, as he had been dealing with Rheumatoid arthritis since he was a teenager. His body was pretty jacked up from all his deformed joints, not to mention the constant pain he dealt with as a result. In his case, the teaching of Zen Buddhism that “life is suffering” was quite true.

Anyway, all that aside, whenever I attend a funeral I can’t help but remember a particular Star Trek: TNG episode. It is thought that Geordi LaForge and Ro Laren have died, and Lt. Cmdr Data is charged with organizing their funeral. Data, uncertain as to what to do, studies the rituals of several civilizations. He also happens to get the advice of Worf, the resident Klingon.

When a Klingon dies, there is celebration. An honorable Klingon warrior has moved on to Sto-vo-kor, which is cause for celebration. Upon hearing this, Data decides to throw a party to celebrate the passing of LaForge and Ro.

For me, death is understandably sad. But it is more a happy time than anything else. For even a person who has lived a less than honorable life, even the atheists, will inherit paradise at the worst, and become gods themselves at best.