Thursday, October 20, 2005

When a Testimony Goes Stale

In my last fast and testimony meeting, a young lady got up to bare her testimony (young as in early to mid 20's).

She was so excited about the fact that she knew the true gospel, and that modern day prophets had been revealed to her! She went on and on about how great it was to have this knowledge, and how she had so much faith she wished she could just give some of it others who are lacking or have doubts.

I couldn't help but think back to when I first gained a testimony of the same truths she spoke of when I was closer to her age.

It's amazing how having the knowledge is such a life changing event! You behave a whole lot differently, that's for sure!

You can't help but be excited to finally KNOW for sure... to have that "sure knowledge" that you always hear others talk about.

For me, I always thought I had a testimony. But then one day I realized I didn't, and nearly left the Church. But that very next day, I had received the answer I was seeking.

Suddenly, I had an understanding of things I never knew before. These days, as I look at those around me who don't believe or speak of the Church in evil ways, pointing out "contradictions" or questions such as "why doesn't God do this or why does God do that?" as supposed proof of an uncaring or nonexistent god (or that there are no prophets, the Book of Mormon is untrue, etc.), I wish I could simply transfer my knowledge to them. Then they would understand the way that I do, and they would never speak that way again.

But as time goes by, is my testimony running stale? I am certainly just not nearly so excitable about having this knowledge. Knowing the truth is simply... old hat I guess.

Hearing this girl's testimony though has got me excited about advancing my knowledge. More recently my testimony of the Priesthood has grown, and when that is "perfected", I must remember to continue advancing in the knowledge of the gospel to ensure it never gets "stale".